20 Reminders for the New Year
The other day I read through some old journals. At first I was nervous about going back to a place I felt was past me. These journals were from a time in my life where I struggled to love myself and I was unhappy with where my life was taking me. These were times where I was exhausted by the mental strength it took me to get through a single day. So desperate for positivity and change, I would take to writing affirmations in my journal in a repetitive manner. I cringed when I cracked one of these journals open, peeking out of one eye expecting to read the ramblings of a crazy person (because that's what I was, right?). Maybe not as crazy as I thought. Instead I found dreams, visions, and manifestations -- that have come TRUE or are in the process of being actualized. I was unexpectedly captivated by my own words, as if they weren't my own. I found a mixture of my own thoughts and quotes glowing like light-posts to help me find my way in the dark. They still resonate with me today despite being in a very different place.
As we are about to close one door and open another, here are 20 Reminders for the New Year:
- "The journey of a thousand miles, begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu
- Treat yourself with the same kindness you treat others.
- "Resentment, criticism, and guilt are the most damaging patterns." - Louise Hay
- Life is very simple (if you want it to be).
- "To thine own self be true, and it must follow, the night, the day, thou canst not be false to any man." - William Shakespeare
- Awareness and acceptance are the foundation of personal growth.
- Dream Big.
- Have Faith.
- Love your life. You only get one so you might as well "love the one you're with." - Crosby, Stills, and Nash
- Live your own happiness.
- Rise by lifting others. This is from a quote "We rise by lifting others" by Robert Ingersoll. This quote is the very foundation on which I build my life.
- Like attracts like. Make sure you are keeping "like" thoughts and "like" company because what you think and who you surround yourself with matters.
- "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself." - Wayne Dyer
- Try this one out the next time you are feeling depressed, anxious or at peace. "If you're depressed, you're living in the past. If you're anxious, you're living in the future. If you're at peace, you're living in the present." - Lao Tzu.
- Choose NOW to let go of any "baggage" from 2013. Do a full body scan of any tension you feel and let go of the tension. Start 2014 with a clean slate.
- "Free your mind and the rest will follow." - En Vogue
- "What you resist, persists." C.G. Jung
- The answers you are looking for are already within you. You just have to find them. "At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are, and you know what you want." - Lao Tzu
- Like I tell The A Team, give it 110%. "It's never crowded along the extra mile." - Wayne Dyer
- Love is all you need.
- BE fearless. A little over six months ago I made a commitment to myself to not let fear stand in the way of my dreams. Being fearless isn't about not having fear. John Wayne said it best "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." You hear that? Saddle. Up. Anyway.
Leave a comment below with your favorite quote(s) or affirmations.
For more inspiration for the New Year, check out these posts: