How to Invest in Yourself With Confidence
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined - Henry David Thoreau
Are you someone who finds investing in yourself terrifying?
I do too.
Investing in myself isn’t anything new but every time I do it I feel slightly nauseated. Even though I know finding my DIScomfort zone is key to moving myself forward.
As a coach, I get loads of questions on the subject.
Will it make a difference?
Will it be worth the money I am spending?
Can I get the result I want?
That's the thing. There are no guarantees.
[tweetherder]Coaching brings about dynamic changes that none of us can predict when we begin our journey.[/tweetherder]
Every time John or I want to up level our lives, we make investments that are just outside our comfort zone. And then we work to get the results we want.
After my son was born, I took an interest in wellness and invested in a health coach.
I wanted to get John on-board so we invested in a health coach who came to our house and showed us how to prepare and cook healthier meals.
Our list over the years has become endless as we challenge the status quo.
For the 18 months leading up to Ironman Lake Placid John trained with a coach.
I hired a running coach for a hilly 10K I wanted to tackle.
One day I was sitting on the pool deck...
I watched my kids in their swim lesson. I was envious. I had wanted to improve my swimming. So, instead of re-enrolling them, I signed myself up for 8 weeks.
Have you ever thought about how you don't bat an eyelash to pay for your children's enrichment but often deny your own?
After that I was more conscious about spreading our resources so each family member could experience growth.
[tweetherder]Personal development is integral to your success.[/tweetherder]
We have found hiring coaches saves time, money, and energy when wanting to advance to the next level. It eliminates frustration, loneliness, and fatigue that comes with learning new things.
No time or money?
I get it. Most of our investments were made when we were dead broke. We aren’t broke anymore because we made the right investments in ourselves.
Time constraints will always exist. If you are struggling to find the time, I completely understand.
When you are ready, time becomes abundant.
You wanna know my secrets?
How to invest in yourself with confidence:
- Have a vision for where you want to go.
- Identify the gap - what do you need to get to where you want to go (i.e. gear, knowledge, skills, support, money, etc)
- Pick the ONE thing that will get you closest to your goal the fastest.
- Create self-development plan and list any courses, books, or coaching you wan to take.
- Pick an amount of money that is slightly uncomfortable for you and work with that.
Not sure how to find the money...
- Read The Secret and learn about the Law of Attraction. This is not new age bullshit. It works.
- Identify how much money you need to aid in your higher and greater good.
- Declare your intention to have it.
- Write (yes, write it) down your intention, the date by which you need the money and what you will be using it for.
Now you have to make it happen by taking intentional action.
- Sell things you no longer use. I do this often. You can read about it in The Art of Uncluttered Living.
- Find something you are good at and turn it into a service.
- Ask for whatever you want to invest in as a gift.
- If there is a financial upside to the investment, take a loan.
- Look for coupons, discounts, raffles, beta programs, etc.
- Cook all your meals instead of eating out.
- Call all your service providers and ask for the new customer discount.
- Focus on gratitude and abundance.
Investments Pay Forward
Big A (age 9) is entrepreneurial and he is always searching for his next big idea. While driving to school today we were talking about his latest vision to run a door-to-door car wash service.
He talked about gaining the trust of his customers. Big A's plan is to offer discounted washes for people he knows and have them write reviews of his service.
We spoke in detail about what goes into pricing and communicating the value he will deliver.
This conversation would not have happened if I hadn't been working on these things myself (with a coach). This knowledge transfer is priceless.
Investing in yourself allows you to:
- Amplify your strengths.
- Accept yourself as you are.
- Overcome any barriers holding you back.
- Live more authentically.