16 Reminders for Creating Vision and Purpose
We kicked off the week talking about Simple Steps for Creating Vision and Purpose in Your Life. If you haven't checked it out, I highly recommend not just the post but the comments as well. Thanks to the wonderful readers of this blog there was an abundance of insights there.
I want to take a moment to motivate you to get started. It is HARD. I have had my own experiences with frustration and annoyance when my dreams have seemed too jumbled or fragmented to capture. All I can say is ease up and let your mind just be.
I remember speaking with a small business owner and he felt he was having trouble staying focused. He lived near a ski area and he would go out for hours, during the day to ski. He wanted me to help tether him to his desk, to organize him better and to make him more productive. I laughed. My advice - "Go ski. Have fun. Let your mind RELAX. It's OK to give yourself a few hours." Do you want to know why? Skiing was his meditation. He would have more creative, solution oriented, inspiring ideas from that ski session than chaining himself to his desk. (Some details of this story have been changed to maintain confidentiality.)
So, don't flog yourself while you are search for the answers to those questions in Monday's post. They are meant to be thought provoking and challenging. You are not meant to answer them all immediately. Below are 8 recommendations and 8 motivating quotes to get you started or what I like to call 16 Reminders for Creating Vision and Purpose.
Here are 8 recommendations to get you started:
- Purchase a new notebook and some fun pens.
- Head to a local coffee shop where you can have some quiet time.
- Doodle, draw, cut out pictures that put you in a future stated mind set
- Ask a friend to join you. You can interview each other and help write the other's vision statements
- Grab your significant other and work on a family vision instead. Two minds are better than one.
- Take your time. This isn't going to manifest itself in one sitting.
- Relax your mind anyway you are capable. "Go skiing."
- Have fun!
Here are 8 motivational quotes to keep you going:
- "Where there is no vision the people perish." - Proverbs 29;18
- "Dreams are extremely important. You can't do it unless you can imagine it." - George Lucas
- "Vision without execution is hallucination." - Thomas Edison
- "The only way to predict the future is to have the power to shape it." - Eric Hofer
- "Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes." -Carl Jung
- "The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller
- "Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change." - Wayne Dyer
- "The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." - Neil Gaiman
My original offer still stands. I will review anyone's vision statement and provide feedback if I receive it by February 7. I can be reached at newman.tarag [at] gmail [dot] com.
Leave comments below with any questions. Do you have a favorite quote that inspires you?