14 Ways You're Blocking Your Own Success
I am in the process of making the shift from corporate crusader to entrepreneur. A shift that in my head is a done deal. It’s something I could have done a long time ago except for one giant hurdle standing in my way.
For most of my life, my overdeveloped inner critic ruled the roost.
I did what I was supposed to do.
I followed the rules.
I challenged nothing.
I just went with the tide.
[tweetherder]All my big ideas fell to the wayside as I systematically checked off the boxes of an average life.[/tweetherder]
Except I’m not average. None of us are.
[tweetherder]We have unique skills and dreams that are meant to be shared with the world around us.[/tweetherder]
For ten years I have held the vision of teaching people how to improve their lives and businesses by honing their mindset and leadership skills.
I had a vision of leaders standing confidently for what they believe, making impact in the world around them, and sharing their inspiring messages -- whether this meant leading in their business, career, or relationships.
And for ten years, I couldn’t get started. I didn’t know how or why or what was standing in my way. I over thought myself in circles trying to gain clarity and move past what was blocking me.
Until I realized what was blocking me was ME and man, that really pissed me off. I look back on the younger, rule following, terrified version of me with regret.
Why couldn’t you just get out of your own way, follow less rules, be a little braver?
So, here is what I would tell my younger, less confident self.
[tweetherder]You are standing in the way of your own success.[/tweetherder] Here’s why:
- You aren’t letting yourself fail. This is so painful and scary but the truth is, success only comes through failure.
- You aren’t thinking BIG picture.
- You don’t connect with your why every day. We live in a busy world with lots of information coming at us daily. It’s easy to lose sight of why we have chosen this path.
- You haven’t challenged yourself to think BIGGER. Go beyond yourself. What’s the whole truth?
- You aren’t surrounding yourself with the right people. If you want to be a leader, surround yourself with leaders, people who think different, who think bigger.
- You don’t have a daily mindset practice. You need to get into your head and sort it out, everyday. Challenge yourself to work through resistance and fear.
- You don’t prioritize personal development.
- You’re too focused on the outcome. Step back and check in with your purpose and why you are on this journey.
- You’re not investing in yourself and your dream. Yes, it's horribly frightening to put your money where your mouth is. Do it anyway.
- You’re not focused in your investments (shiny object syndrome). You must be strategic in how you chose to grow and develop yourself and your business.
- You don’t ask for help. This is the first thing that needs to be done. No shame.
- You aren’t managing yourself like the asset you are. You’re all you have. Take care of you, first.
- You’re not developing customized habits that allow you to perform at a high level. Consistency wins every time. Habits help you stay consistent.
- You’re not leveraging ALL of you. This includes but not limited to your skills, experiences, unique talents, interests, and passions.
If I want success, I know today that all I need to do is review this list regularly and adjust my course where necessary.